Friday, November 30, 2012

Study Habits

Have you been studying for a test in a library and suddenly found yourself asking,''what's that noise?''
It turns out the person at the desk next to you is blasting music through her headphones. It's driving you crazy. You ask her to turn down the music. She says,''I can only study with a music on!''

People can have very different study habits. Some of us need complete silence, while others need noise. Some of us get distracted if there are other people around, while others can't focus when they are alone. Get the room just how you like to study.


Venessa : Hey, what are you doing over there? Are you studying?

Jason :  Uh, yes.

Venessa : Do you mind if I put on some music?

Jason : I actually would prefer if you didn't. I find it easier to study in complete silence.

Venessa : Really?

Jason : Yeah.

Venessa : Wow. You sound pretty particular about when you study. What else do you need?

Jason : I try not to be too hungry, or too full. I like to be by myself. I don't like to study in a library or anything. There's even too many distractions for me, you know, people walking around. What do you do?

Venessa: Well, usually I'll just pull an all-neighter, you know? Just try to cram and get whatever facts I can in before the sun comes up. I'll make flashcards, but if I'm just studying for one night that doesn't happen.

Jason : That sounds kinda crazy! I try to say ahead of the game, you know, study things. Maybe if I'm studying for a test, I'll start a few days before the test and just brush up at the end.

Venessa : Hmm. It sounds like you have more discipline than I do when it comes to studying.

Jason : Speaking of....I think I'm gonna get back to it.

Venessa : Oh, alright.

VOCAB

- Blast (v)--- Playing loudly; cranking
- Drive crazy (expr)--- Really annoy or frustrate someone
- Distract (v)--- To take someone's attention away from something important.
- Focus(v) --- Give attention to or concentrate effort on.
- Pull an all neighter (expr) --- Stay up all night.
- Cram (v) --- To study for something just before it happens.
- Ahead of the game (expr) --- Prepared; getting work done early.
- Brush up (expr) --- To practice.
- Discipline (n) --- Ability to follow rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment