Sunday, December 2, 2012

Stage Fright

It seems as if some people are just naturally at home on stage. Whether they're acting in a play or performing a concert, these people are great at being the center of attention.

Then there are the people who suffer from stage fright. They might enjoy acting or performing, but they're also terrified about being in front of an audience. Their stage fright might be so bad that they need to take anxiety medications or do yoga before they go on stage.


Venessa : Do you like to be the center of attention?

Sara : You know, I know it's sort of....I'm not supposed to admit it, but I kind of do.

Venessa : Really? So do you like to perform, do you sing or act or anything like that?

Sara : Yeah, I like to be the center of attention when I'm performing. I don't like to be the center of attention in a group, like in a social situation, but give me a stage and I'm fine, I'm great.

Venessa : Do you ever get stage fright?

Sara : I don't, really. I get way more nervous in, like, an ordinary social situation than I do on stage.

Venessa : I just freeze up when I get on stage now. I don't know, I think... Something really embarrassing happened to me on stage, and I have to just get myself psyched up before I go out now.

Sara : What happened to you?

Venessa : Well, I was in a play, and I had a wardrobe malfunction. The strap broke on my dress.

Sara : Yikes.

Venessa : It was so embarrassing.

Sara : Oh no.

Venessa : I was humiliated.

Sara : And did you ever get back up on stage after that?

Venessa : I did, but it took a long time to build back up to it.

Sara : Yeah. I'm lucky. I should knock on wood because nothing like that's happened to me yet, but we'll see.


Key Vocabulary

Freeze up (expr) -------> Be unable to act because because of nervousness or anxiety.

Psyched up (expr) ------> Really excited and energized.

Malfunction (n) ---------> The act of something not working.

Humiliated (v) ----------> Embarrassed, humbled, made to feel bad.

At home (expr) ---------> Very comfortable.

Perform (v) -------------> Give a performance; do something so other people can watch.

Center of attention (expr) --> Having everyone notice that you are doing.

Anxiety (n) -------------> Concerb, worry, fear.

Knock on wood (expr) ---> Wish that something bad doesn't happen.

Social (Ajd) -------------> Friendly; relating to friend or hanging out.






No comments:

Post a Comment